Eggroll in a Bowl
Updated: Jan 30, 2020
I'm not a believer in denying myself food I love, but even I can admit that sometimes I over indulge, eat too many carbs, have too many fried things. This is a great fake-out to take-out with all the yummy taste of a fried egg roll and none of the guilt. I was shocked by how much my kiddos loved this dish! So it is 100% family approved.
2 TBSP Sesame Oil
1 bunch (6-8) green onions, sliced, greens and whites divided
1 small red onion, sliced
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb ground pork
2" fresh ginger, grated
3 TBSP Sriracha, divided
1/2 head of Napa cabbage, sliced in ribbons
1/2 head red cabbage, sliced in ribbons
4 TBSP Soy or Tamari sauce
2 TBSP rice wine vinegar
White Pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste
Black Sesame seeds
1/4 cup mayo
1. Heat sesame oil in a large skillet at medium heat.
2. Add white parts of green onion, red onion and garlic, sautè until red onion is softened.
3. Add pork, ginger and 1 TBSP of Sriracha, cook until pork is browned through.
4. Add cabbages, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and salt & pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often until cabbage is softened.
5. In a small bowl combine the mayo, 2 TBSP Sriracha (or more if you like it spicy), whisk together until smooth and salt to taste. Add 1 TBSP water to thin and make more of a drizzle consistency.
6. To serve, spoon into bowls and drizzle with the spicy mayo sauce, a sprinkle of sesame seeds and green onions. And of course a little extra Sriracha if you like it extra spicy!
You can use any ground meat you prefer, this would be equally yummy with ground chicken or turkey but may require a little extra oil.
You can add fried wonton strips as a garnish, it'll add that satisfying crunch you get from a fresh fried egg roll.
Need some extra protein? Add a fried egg on top!