The Perfect Meat Sauce
Spaghetti is a go-to easy meal and I love having this sauce in my freezer for those last minute dinners. You can put over any pasta or veggie noddle, it's my base for my lasagna, and if there are any leftovers, just scoop it up with some crusty bread. This makes a ton! I use a food scale and freeze 1 pound portions for easy de-thawing.
2 TBSP olive oil
1.5 lb ground spicy italian sausage (you can use mild if you prefer)
1.5 lb ground beef
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 large carrots, diced
4 stalks of celery, diced
2 green bell peppers, diced
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
3, 28oz cans crushed tomatoes
1, 15oz tomato sauce
1, 6oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup good red wine
4 TBSP Italian seasoning (I like Pampered Chef)
1/2 tsp - 1 tsp dried red pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat. If sausage is in casings, remove and toss. Brown all meat together, breaking it up and combining. When cooked through and no pink remains, set aside on a plate. Leave drippings in pot.
2. Add remaining olive oil, celery, carrots, bell peppers, and onions. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes and add garlic. Stir to combine.
3. Add tomato paste, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add red wine to de-glaze the pan.
4. Add cooked meat, crushed tomatoes, and tomato sauce, stir to combine.
5. Use salt and pepper to your personal taste, however this is large pot of sauce and will require a heavy hand with the salt. Add Italian seasoning and sugar, this help cuts the acidity from the tomatoes. Add dried red pepper to your personal taste.
6. Add cream and stir to combine.
7. Simmer for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours. This sauce just gets better with time.
8. Add basil 15 minutes before serving.
1. Freeze in 1lb portions in freeze safe containers.
2. I like to make this sauce and serve that night, the next day I'll use the leftovers to make a lasagna for my freezer.
3. This is a great sauce to make or yourself and give the rest to a friend, share the love!